Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chamber of Sorrows / A Prayer for the dying

Music exists to say things words cannot say. To cry for you, when your tears are dry, a chance to let the soul weep; Which is why, it is not entirely human. Music is not for kings and perhaps you think music is for God, but you are wrong, God can speak. For the ear perhaps?  Yet, things I cannot speak, are not for the ear. For gold, for glory, for silence?  Yet, Silence is only the opposite of language. Rival musicians? Love? Sorrows of love? Wantonness? A wafer for the unknown? But what is a wafer? You can see it, taste it. It is nothing. Do you give up?

One must leave a drink for the dead. A refreshment for those who've run out of words. For lost childhoods... To muffle the stammering of drunken laborers, to silence the tantrums of an emotionally distant mother... For the time before we were born, before we breathed, or saw light. That alone, is Musics' true importance.

I will eventually die, and my brand of art and whimsy will die with me. My ideals, my dreams, my passions, my loves...but Music, especially Music designed to wake, lasts forever. Even when forever, seems too long.
And so I will leaved you an air to wake the dead. As it is commonly believed to do so.
Thus I give you "The Chamber of Sorrows"- who so few have enough ear to really listen.

If I were to live to be one thousand year old, I believe my wish would be that every person I know and care about could or would be able to listen to the Tomb of Sorrows and have more to say than, "That's beautiful". Of course it is beautiful. But why is it beautiful. Did it bring tears to your eyes, did your body catch up with the wailing of your soul? More importantly, do you feel that deeply?

3 comments:

  1. That is deep. was not expecting that at all I loved the music but I am not sure I have the ear to listin to it as you said. it seems so outdated. out of curiousity do you want this played at your funeral? seems like something youd only hear at a funeral

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a list of music I wanted played at my funeral and this was not previously on the list---But now, I honestly have to say. Yes. #1 spot. I wish I could describe this further, in that I mean, what exactly I get from the music. I can remember my grandmother playing this song for days when someone close to her died, and it is commonly believed that this song has a chord and a depth that can wake the dead, in wake, I mean call them to you. Therefore, It would be my wish that my loved ones' would call me to them with this utterly enchanting melody. Understand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I have music like that for me to

    ReplyDelete